In the Old Testament, thank offerings were given in gratitude for deliverance from sickness, trouble or death, or for a blessing received. Often, these thank offerings were accompanied by an animal sacrifice, prayer and an expression of praise: “I will sacrifice a thank offering to you and call on the name of the Lord” (Psalm 116:17).
Today, as New Testament believers, our thank offerings have taken a different form:
• We are called to a continuous lifestyle of thanksgiving: “…always give thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ” (Ephesians 5:20).
• By the example of Christ, and in His name, our lives are to be a reflection of Him: “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him” (Colossians 3:17).
• It is God’s will that the life of the Christian should always be lived in the context of continuous praise and thanksgiving regardless of circumstance: “I will give thanks in ALL circumstances, for this is Your will for me in Christ Jesus” (I Thessalonians 5:18).
• Instead of an accompanying animal sacrifice, as was appropriate in Old Testament times, we are instead to “offer our bodies as living sacrifices, hold and pleasing to God” (Romans 12:1).
God’s Word gives us so many reasons to give thanks that it should never be difficult to honor the Lord with praise and thanksgiving. May you be encouraged to begin or maintain a continuous lifestyle of thanksgiving.
Take some time to meditate on these Scriptures and give thanks to God:
• I give thanks to You for turning my mourning into dancing! (Psalm 30:11-12)
• I thank You because You answered my prayers, and because You have become my salvation. (Psalm 118:21)
• Because of Your righteous laws, I am thankful. (Psalm 119:62)
• Father, I will five thanks to You because You are good! (Psalm 16:34)
• Lord, I give thanks to You because Your love endures forever! (1 Chronicles 16:41)
• I give thanks to You because of Your righteousness. (Psalm 7:17)
• I thank You because You have delivered me from death and kept my feet from stumbling that I may walk before God in the light of life. (Psalm 56:12-13)
• I thank You because Your Name is near. (Psalm 75:1)
• I give You thanks because Your faithfulness continues through all generations. (Psalm 100:4-5)
• I thank You for Your unfailing love and Your wonderful deeds for men. (Psalm 107:8, 15, 21, 31)
• Thank You because You satisfy the thirsty and fill the hungry with good things. (Psalm 107:9)
• I give thanks to You who alone does great wonders. By Your understanding You made the heavens, spread out the earth upon the waters and made the great lights – sun to govern the day, the moon and stars to govern the night. (Psalm 136:4-9)
• I thank You because it is You who gives the victory through my Lord Jesus Christ. (I Corinthians 15:57)
• I thank you because You always lead me in triumphal procession in Christ and through me You spread everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him. (2 Corinthians 2:4)
• Thank You for Your Indescribable Gift. (2 Corinthians 9:15)
• I give thanks for everything in your name, Lord Jesus Christ. (Ephesians 5:20)
• I give thanks to You, Father, because you have qualified me to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light. You have rescued me from the dominion of darkness and brought me into the kingdom of the Son You love, in whom I have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. (Colossians 1:12-14)
• I give thanks to the Holy One who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever. (Revelation 4:9)
• I give thanks to You, Lord God Almighty, because You are the One who is and who was, and You have taken Your great power and have begun to reign. (Revelation 11:17)
Sharing the reasons for your thankful heart in all of the circumstances of your life can often be the most powerful and effective witness you could ever give. When others are curious about your response to certain situations, whether blessings or difficulties, TELL THEM and SHOW THEM. Thanksgiving is powerful evangelism.
1. Whenever you are feeling thankful, give all of the honor, glory and praise to God. Worship Him and lift up His holy name!
2. Whenever you are thankful for answered prayer, share the answered prayer with others.
3. Whenever you are thankful for how you have been blessed, tell others how God has blessed you.
4. Because you are thankful that He has saved you, pray for the boldness and opportunity to share your testimony/story.
5. To thank God for financial blessings, pray for guidance and direction about how to bless others with your finances.
6. Because you are thankful to be alive in Christ, ask God to show you how to offer joyful service to others.
7. When you are thankful for God’s faithfulness when you go through trials, ask God to put people in your path who are going through similar trials so that you might be an encouragement to them.
8. Because you are thankful for your family, be diligent about thanking God for them daily and praying for them!
9. Because you are thankful for victory over sin, pray that God will give you strength to overcome the temptation to sin in the future.
10. Because you are thankful for the spiritual leaders God has brought into your life, continuously bring them before the Lord in prayer and find ways to show them how much they are appreciated.
© Kim Butts, Harvest Prayer Ministries 2021
A daily devotional on prayer. Each devotional includes an inspiring and challenging message on prayer, a prayer to pray and several scripture-based prayer points. Here is a note from one of our thousands of subscribers from all over the world: “Thank you for your faithfulness in service to the Kingdom of God!! These devotionals make a difference in my life as the Holy Spirit speaks to my heart!” – Diane H.
Harvest does not rent our email lists to other organizations. On rare