7 Prayers for Guidance in Times of Uncertainty
We have all been told to pray for guidance when we are unsure of what to do. But, how many of us actually know how to do this in a powerful and effective way? God’s word offers us the key to approach the Father with the confidence we are looking for when we face times of uncertainty.
God clearly tells us that He desires the best for us. His best! “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” (Jeremiah 29:11). Stepping into our future apart from seeking the Father’s guidance can derail, delay or completely disrupt His best for us.
Scripture also teaches us that it is not up to our plans and our ideas to figure out what we should do in times when we need guidance. Instead, we are to: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding” (Proverbs 3:5). There is no way to figure out what is best for us to do as we make decisions apart from our God who created us and designed us for His purposes. If we put our faith in His abilities instead of our own, guidance will come with more certainty in the best outcome. Lack of trust in the Father can lead to poor decisions and to fear.
Here are 7 prayers you can simply pray just as they have been written for you and prayed by others throughout the centuries. Use them as a jumping off place for your prayers asking God for His guidance:
- “Make me know Your ways, O LORD; teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; for You I wait all the day” (Psalm 25:4-5).
- “Let me hear Your lovingkindness in the morning; for I trust in You; teach me the way in which I should walk; for to You I lift up my soul” (Psalm 143:8).
- “Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God; let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground” (Psalm 143:10).
- “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105).
- “For You are my rock and my fortress; for Your name’s sake You will lead me and guide me” (Psalm 31:3).
- O send out Your light and Your truth, let them lead me; let them bring me to Your holy hill and to Your dwelling places” (Psalm 43:3).
- Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer; from the end of the earth I call to You when my heart is faint; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I” (Psalm 61:1-2).
Hopefully these scriptural prayers have given you a deeper confidence in the Father’s ability to guide and direct you! Remember, apart from Him we can do nothing: “I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing” (John 15:5).
If we will take to heart these powerful, scriptural petitions, we can know that God will hear and answer because the prayers we are offering up to Him are in His perfect purposes and will for us!
(c) Harvest Prayer Ministries
Kim’s passion is to see God’s people recognize that prayer is a creative, continual moment by moment lifestyle as we align our hearts with the plans and purposes of God for His glory and the sake of His kingdom. Her ministry involves writing, teaching and consulting. She also compiles and edits HPM’s free daily devotional, Connection! and blogs regularly on the HPM website).
Kim graduated from Whitman College with teaching credentials and a BA in Psychology. She has a Masters degree in Spiritual Formation and Leadership from Spring Arbor University.